Sunday, July 14, 2013
DIY Art Project
I am excited to finally have this project finished and ready to show you. It wasn't time consuming, but I have had limited time lately to work on anything so it took me awhile to finish up. I have created an art project to hang on our family room wall. I am slowly (very:) working on changing the colors in our family room. It was previously dark red, navy, and dark green as the accent colors. I found a new rug I loved that was taupe and muted shades of blue and green. I'm now trying to change up the art work, frames and other accent pieces in the family room as well.
I had seen a Pinterest image that was my inspiration for this project. This is the picture I originally saw that I wanted to try to recreate (link here). I knew I had materials that I could use to recreate a similar look. Before we changed the colors in my daughter's room, her name was hanging on the wall. I had painted the letters of her name on canvas and hung them on the wall but the colors no longer matched her new bedding. Here are the canvases I started with.
I painted them with a few coats of white spray paint because I was unsure if the colors would show through once they were covered in fabric, especially the black letters.
Once they were painted, I covered each canvas in fabric. I found a blue and white pattern and a cream colored fabric, both on clearance at Joann Fabrics that I used. I laid the canvas face down to figure out the size of fabric I would need to cover the canvas and wrap over the edges.
After cutting the fabric, I used a staple gun to staple the fabric around the edges.
Here is what it looked like from the front after everything was stapled down.
I bought the letters at an arts and crafts store. I chose the word "Relax" because it fit the number of canvases I had and I thought it was appropriate for our family room where we relax (of course). I painted each letter green and glued it to the fabric.
I used ribbon I had from a previous project to hang the canvases. I was very careful to measure each piece to the same size so they would hang evenly. Each canvas had a picture hanger at the top on the back that I used as my guide as to where to staple the ribbon.
Here is what one of the finished canvases looked like before I hung it.
I am very happy with how this turned out. Here it is hanging on the wall in the family room. My handy hubby hung the curtain rod on the wall for me.
A plan is in place for below the new art. There used to be a chair and this white cube from Pottery Barn (very old). The cube is going to be used elsewhere in the house and a different piece of furniture will go on this wall. I need to get a few projects finished before I can move the table here so I'll show the update later.
The cost of this project was minimal for me:
Canvas - free because I already had them
Fabric - under $5 (I bought it awhile ago and don't remember exactly the price)
Ribbon - left over from another project
Wood Letters - about 80 cents each. Originally 1.49 but I bought them when they were on sale
Craft Paint - 1.00
Curtain Rod - left from when we took down the kitchen curtains (one day I will have different window treatments:)
Linking up with: