Friday, August 19, 2016

August Birchbox and July Reviews

My Birchbox came super early this month!  I never even got a shipping email and it arrived on my doorstep so that was a fun surprise.  For August, I ordered the curated box because I wanted to try out a few of the items that they showed in the box.

August's theme was all about hair.  Here is what came in my August box.


Living Proof No Frizz Nourishing Oil - $38 for a full size
Beauty Protector Protect and Detangle - $23.50 for the full size
Stila Stay All Day liquid lipstick in Patina - $24 for a full size
Marcelle BB Cream Golden Glow - $28 for full size
Acure Organics Coconut and Argan Oily Cleansing Towelettes - $6.99 for full size
Bonus: Hum Nutrition Raw Beauty Green Superfood Powder

I love the Beauty Protector spray and I wanted to try the Living Proof, Stila, and Marcelle products which is why I chose this box.  Keep an eye out next month for my reviews.

Now onto my reviews of the July products.


Catherine Malandrino Style de Paris perfume - You all know I can't describe scents.  I like this one because it isn't too floral or sweet smelling.  My complaint is that it is not a spray bottle which means I just won't use it often.  Those dabber ones tend to spill and make a mess and I just don't reach for them.

MD Solar Sciences Sunscreen - I haven't used this at all.  I've gotten about 5 sunscreen samples in the past few months from different boxes and I don't go through them that fast since I only wear them when I'm not wearing my makeup that has SPF.  I didn't want to open this until I'm ready to use it.

Balance Me Radiance Face Mask - I used this mask once and I liked it.  I didn't notice a big different in how radiant my skin looked but it did feel nice.  I might see more effects if I am using it multiple times instead of other masks in between.

Cargo Blush and Bronzer Duo - I was very excited for this product because I like Cargo and I love blush.  However, I can barely get a brush into this product because of the size.  It is impossible to only use the blush and get any on my brush.  I may end up swirling them together and using it all over my face.  I am definitely disappointed in this product, not because of the quality, but because the packaging makes it impossible to use.

Marcelle Xtension Plus Curl Mascara - This was my sample choice in July because you could choose one of three mascaras.  Marcelle is one of my favorite finds from Birchbox.  I love their micellar water and eye makeup remover so I was excited to try a makeup product.  This mascara applies nicely, isn't clumpy, and doesn't smudge on me.  However, it doesn't give me the volume I like on a daily basis.  I have been using it when I'm going for a low-key makeup look but not a daily basis.

Overall, not as impressed with the July box as when I first opened it.  But I know that some months are better than others and that is certainly true with my Birchbox boxes.

While I like Birchbox, their recent point changes and the fact that I get so many samples has been considering whether I want to continue with my subscription.  Stay tuned for updates on that.

Heather

*All opinions are my own.  All products were purchased by me.  I was not compensated in any way for this post.

4 comments:

  1. I did not like the packaging of the Catherine Malandrino perfume either. I need to look into getting a curated box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honestly not real excited about any of the September options. We will see what happens.

      Delete
  2. What a disappointing box! I read your reviews after review, do you think if the blush would have been all on its own you would've liked it better?
    xoxo, simona and indre

    www.sistertalessite.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried Cargo blushes before and I do like them so I think the packaging was the downfall. Their full size duos are so much larger that you can probably get a brush in there much easier. Thanks for reading!

      Delete