Friday, June 24, 2016

June Birchbox and May Reviews

After a recent trip to California, I came home to all sorts of fun packages:)  One of these was my June Birchbox.  Unlike past months, I did not choose the curated box this month.  There weren't enough products in it that I was interested in so I did my sample choice and left the rest a surprise for the month of June.

Some thoughts on Birchbox before I begin.  I have been subscribed to Birchbox since 2011 (almost the beginning of the company), pretty much continuously.  I love getting the samples in the mail every month and trying out new things.  That being said, Birchbox recently changed their point system.

Since I started subscribing, you received 10 points for each review you completed from the items in your box.  This means that you would earn at least 50 points each month.  Once you collect 100 points, that gives you $10 to spend in the Birchbox shop.  This system is changing.  I can earn 50 more points for reviews (basically my June box) and then I will no longer have this perk.  I will only earn points for purchases through the shop.  In addition, points will expire which didn't used to be the case.

That being said, I am subscribed through next spring since I renewed for a year.  I will see if it continues to be worth it to buy through their shop instead of other stores in that time period and I will make a decision next spring if I want to continue.

In addition to their point change, I do have a lot of samples.  It definitely wouldn't hurt me to take a break from all subscription services and work through everything I have instead of continuing to take in samples each month, especially when I get samples from orders and Target beauty boxes as well.

Onto the reviews of the boxes.

Here is June's box.  I am finding the theme harder and harder to pick out from the card.  The product card this month talks a lot about products that will transform your every day routine (like magic).


The items I received were (prices are for full sizes):
Avene thermal spring water - $9-$18.50
Benefit cosmetics gimme brow volumizing fiber gel in 1 Light - $24
Kiehls precision lifting & pore-tightening concentrate - $64
Lavanila the healthy sunscreen sport luxe face and body cream SPF 30 - $22
The Beauty Crop PBJ Smoothie stick in Raisin the Roof - $14.95

I've tried the Avene water before from when I received Ipsy bags awhile back.  I'll definitely use it.  I love the original Gimme Brow so I hope I like this one too.  I already had the lip crayon on and love it!  I'm excited about the Kiehls product and I'll definitely use a sunscreen this summer.  So, overall I'm excited about this box, especially considering most of it was a surprise.

Now onto the reviews of my May box...


Benefit cosmetics Hoola matte bronzer - I am on the Hoola bandwagon.  I like this bronzer a lot.  I like that it is matte and it is a good shade for me.  I have a ton of bronzers to work through but I will definitely add this to the rotation.

ModelCo Lip Laquer in Creme Brûlée - The first time I tried this, it was much more opaque than I was expecting.  It feels very nice on the lips.  The color isn't the greatest for me but I think I can make it work.

Coola SPF 30 organic makeup setting spray -   I was very disappointed in this product.  I was excited to try a setting spray with SPF but this was not good.  It stung my eyes (even with them shut) and the spray was not fine enough to use as a setting spray.  I ended up with blobs of spray all over my face and I'd have to blot them.  I'd skip this one.

Davines Love smoothing shampoo - I really liked this shampoo.  It had a nice scent and made hair nice and soft.  It didn't bother my scalp at all (many shampoos make me itch) and I didn't feel like I had a lot of buildup.  I'm not sure it is worth the $25 price tag but I definitely liked it.

Davines Love smoothing conditioner - Pretty much the same feelings as the shampoo.  I did feel like my hair was smooth and not frizzy.

Clean Blossom perfume - This is too floral for me.  I am a big fan of the other Clean scents but I don't usually prefer a floral scent.

Overall, May was a good box for me.  The only thing I really didn't like was the Coola spray.




No comments:

Post a Comment