Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Beauty Blogger Book Club


This month the Beauty Blogger Book Club read Orphan Train by Christina Baker Klein.  In this story, Molly is living with a foster family and helps out Vivian to earn community service hours.  As they spend time together, Vivian tells Molly the story of how she was an orphan in New York, put on a train to the midwest, hoping to find a family.  The story jumps between present day where Molly and Vivian are working through the possessions in Vivian's attic and Vivian's journey on the orphan train.


As I have mentioned before, my favorite genre is "chick lit."  I don't usually choose historical fiction to read so I will say that I wasn't excited about this one.  However, I really liked this book.  I learned about the historical significance of orphan trains in the early 1900s.  Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down.  I wanted to know what happened to Vivian every step of the way on her journey from the orphan train to finding her family.  She is not named Vivian on the train so I was anxiously awaiting the part of the book where we find out the story behind her name.  I was also rooting for Molly and her ability to triumph over her own struggles in the present day.  I would highly recommend this book!

For September, Steph at The Wonky Brow chose I Was Here  by Gayle Forman.  I haven't heard of this book or author so I'm excited to try something new.

Check out what the other bloggers thought of the book this month:
Michelyn - Brains Beauty and Basketball
Ashley - If You Give a Girl a Ring
Lisa - Uncommon Wife Life
Lisa P - Blush and Backroads
Steph - The Wonky Brow

If you have a book recommendation for me, be sure to let me know!  What have you read lately that you loved?

Heather

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked my pick! I too love Chick Lit, but chose this one solely based on the good Amazon reviews, lol..

    ReplyDelete