Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Cleaning my Makeup Brushes

I have never posted about how I clean my makeup brushes, so I thought I would share.  I used to be very bad about washing my brushes but I am trying to do it on a more regular basis.  Keeping your brushes clean keeps dirt and germs out of the products you are dipping them into and I find it keeps my skin clearer because I am keeping dirt off my skin as well.

A long time ago, I watched a Youtube video from GlowofGrace and she used a bar soap to wash her brushes.  Ever since then, this has been the method I use.  She also used a brush cleaning glove from one of the brands which I don't use.

I use the bar soap from Dr. Bronner's.  I am currently using the lavender scent.  I keep the bar soap in a plastic soap dish from Target.


1.  I run water and make sure the brush and soap are nice and wet.  I swirl the brush around on the bar of soap.


2.  I then swirl the soap brush around in the lid of the soap dish under the running water.  This gets the product and the soap out of the brush.  I don't find this method to be too harsh on my brushes or resulting in lots of shedding.  I rarely need to replace a makeup brush because it wears out.


3.  I then squeeze out any excess water and lay them out on my bathroom counter to dry.  I use a few towels to prop them up so that the water runs out of the bristles instead of down into the brush where they may come unglued.


I have purchased this brush egg off of Amazon to clean my brushes.  But I honestly feel that swirling them around in the lid of the soap dish cleans them just as well.  It wasn't expensive so I will keep it around but I don't feel it is necessary.

This is a super simple technique but I feel that it works for me.  I can see the product running out of my brushes and they definitely look cleaner when I am done so it must be working:)

Do you have any tips or techniques that work well for you?  Please share!

Heather

*All opinions are my own.  All products were purchased with my own money.  I was not compensated in any way for this post.

6 comments:

  1. I use the same method (bar soap and soap dish) though I just use a regular dove soap. I've never tried the Dr. Bronner's but I hear its a dupe for the beauty blender solid cleanser!!!! ♥pdpatel0503

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good, easy method in my opinion. I haven't tried another soap but I'm sure any good bar soap would work.

      Delete
  2. I've never used a bar soap, I've always used a liquid and a sponge. I need to try this. It seems much easier...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do and how it works for you!

      Delete
  3. Once I finish my Blender Cleanser Solid, I'm getting some Dr Bronner's soap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good stuff. Although I've only tried the liquid Blender cleanser so I don't have a direct comparison. The Dr. Bronner's definitely works well though.

      Delete