Monday, June 1, 2015

Beauty Blogger Book Club


A new month means it is time for my book review and to tell you what the book club will be reading this month.

In case you are new, the Beauty Blogger Book Club is exactly that.  A book club made up of beauty bloggers.  We have added a few new members over the past few months so we are up to 6 members.  I will link their blogs down below at the end of the post.

This month we read Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple.  This was Ashley's pick and, although I had heard a lot about the book, I hadn't ever read it.


The girl in the story is named Bee and Bernadette is her mother and her father works for Microsoft.  The story builds the relationships of the family with those around them from work to the students and parents at the private school Bee attends.  In the story, Bee is promised a trip to Antarctica if she aces her report card.  Bernadette has a fear of being around people and panics about the upcoming trip.  Then Bernadette disappears.  Bee sets out to find her mother through a variety of correspondence and documents she has collected.

I have to say that I had trouble getting into this book.  I'm not sure if it was the format of letters and documents but it took me awhile to get to a point where I wanted to continue reading.  Bernadette appears during the story be someone with a difficult personality.  She fights with the parents at her daughter's private school, she disagrees with her husband, and appears to make everyone's life more difficult because she is unhappy.

As the story develops, the author gives you insight into why Bernadette has developed into the person she is and I found it very interesting how her choices were explained and how her previous experiences had impacted her current choices.  Throughout the story, you also watch the dynamic change between Bee and Bernadette and Bee and her father as they make struggle to find a balance for their family.  I ended up really enjoying this book and couldn't put it down once I got a ways into it.

For the month of June, I chose the book The Year We Left Home by Jean Thompson.  I have a running list of books "to read" in Goodreads so I am excited that this gives me a reason to dig into that list for my choices.


In addition, go check out what the other bloggers thought of this month's book:
Michelyn:  Brains, Beauty & Basketball
Ashley: If You Give A Girl A Ring
Lisa:  Uncommon Wife Life
Lisa P: Blush and Back Roads
Stephanie: The Wonky Brow

Remember, you can always read the book this month with us!  And let me know your book recommendations!  Summer is coming and I will have extra time to read!

Heather





4 comments:

  1. I too was a little lost in the first chapter, but stuck with it. By Chapter 2 I was enthralled & could not put the book down :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Once the mom disappeared, I really wanted to find out what would happen.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to read your pick! The "blurb" I read intrigued me!!!

    ReplyDelete