Saturday, May 30, 2015

My Beauty Inventory

My Instabesties and I have been going back and forth about our 2015 beauty goals and continuing on our journey of using up products this year.  I posted about my inventory and had a request from one of my besties to write a post about my inventory.  So, I am going to try to explain my process in the hopes that it will inspire someone else.

Let me start by saying that I am very Type A personality.  Lots of organizing, lists, reorganizing, everything needs to be in order.  Therefore, specific lists were what I needed to keep track of my panning journey this year.  I have quite a few pictures in this post (sorry) but I really wanted to show what I did to make sure it was clear.

On December 1st of 2014, I did my first inventory.  I had never inventoried before but I had products in multiple places in the house and no idea what I really owned.  I decided to inventory every 6 months.  I completed another inventory today (what I am considering my June 1st inventory).

I emptied out the linen closet of everything in there that was beauty related.  Then I sorted it all by category.  As I put it back, I wrote down every single product by category.  This is what it looks like...


Because I add and use up sample packets (foil packets) very quickly, I made them their own pages so it doesn't interfere with the rest of my inventory.



The rest of the pages of the inventory look like the 2 pictures above.  A product with a "D" next to it indicates a deluxe size.  The rest are full size.  I tried to leave extra lines for each category for when products might be added.  I didn't do this last time and it made it very messy!  I totaled what I have in each category and put a box to cross off when I finish a product in the category.  I will also cross the specific product off the list and put the month it was finished next to it.



This is the front page of the all the inventory sheets.  I currently have a total of 321 products.  As you can see, this is way more than when I started.  So, I am going to really be cutting back on spending as my goal was to see the number of items I own decrease.  Total fail at this point.  But I have quite a bit of 2015 still to go to get back on track.



In addition to my inventory sheets, I have a notebook with two sections.  This is for my 365 days of empties on Instagram and for my empties posts at the end of each month.  You can see that I list products added during the month (this is an estimate, sometimes I am wrong or forget some:).  I also tally the full size, deluxe, foil samples, and items I trash during the month.  The rest is my calculations for how much I have used up for the year in both product and cost.


The other section of the notebook contains a page for each week.  The weeks run Thursday to Wednesday since 2015 started on a Thursday.  I list each product I use up and it gives me $1 for my budget.  As you can see on this page, I am currently negative because I have spent way too much!  If possible, I calculate how much the empty product was worth when I list it.  Some of the foil samples and perfume samples don't list ounces.  The totals at the bottom of the page are the dollar amount of products I have trashed, products I have used, and my empties budget.


Finally, I thought I would show you my medicine cabinet.  I told you I like lists.  It's a sickness really:)  These are projects I am participating in and the products included in each of those projects so I can cross them off as I finish them and don't forget what is included.  In case you're wondering, the projects are Finish 4 by the 4th of July, a project 20 pan I'm doing, and 12 empties of Christmas.

I hope all of that makes sense.  I know I am probably writing way more than I really need to but I like having multiple lists and the satisfaction of crossing items off a list.  I have debated putting it into a spreadsheet on the computer, but it is much quicker for me to just cross an item off and write it in my notebook at the moment I finish it than to do it later on the computer.

Let me know if you have any questions or this has led to any other post ideas you would like to see!

I am so appreciative of all of you who stop by and read my posts.
You can follow me on Instagram and Twitter @hmills79 if you aren't already.

Heather


4 comments:

  1. thank you for this post!! I know what you mean about having that satisfaction of crossing things off, I'm going to make my inventory today! ♥pdpatel0503 from instagram

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm terrified to do an inventory! I don't think I really want to know!!! I have to say, this is impressive and I like your system. Good Luck, girlie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steph! It is kind of ugly how many things are listed but it does help me keep track of empties and progress.

      Delete