Sunday, March 1, 2015

February Beauty Empties

I am so excited that today is the first day of March!  Hopefully that means that spring, or at least a taste of spring, might appear one day soon.

I am continuing on my journey for 2015 of using up products and participating in 365 days of empties and a low/no buy.  Part of 365 days of empties with my Instagram friends is to count each empty as $1 and that is my beauty budget.  I will recap all of that at the end of this post.


These are the empties that were part of my Project 10 Pan.  I posted my update last week and you can find that here.


Hair care empties:
12 Benefits - I received a sample of this leave-in treatment a long time ago from Birchbox and purchased the full size.  I used this only when I was going to dry my hair with heat so it lasted me quite awhile.  I have a bunch of samples and other products I want to try but I would repurchase.
Neil George Conditioner - This was another Birchbox sample but I did not like it enough to purchase the full size.  It wasn't bad but it didn't wow me enough to purchase it.
Klorane Dry Shampoo - This is my favorite dry shampoo.  I'm working through another sample and then I will purchase the full size.


Body care empties:
Softsoap body wash - I've said before that I'm not picky with my body wash, except I don't like the lotion ones (I know they can be more moisturizing but I feel like I have a film on my skin).  I have quite a few different back ups to finish before I worry about what kind to purchase next.  I do like this one and would repurchase.
Ulta Cotton Pads - These are the usual cotton pads.  They don't get cotton in my eyes or shed so I'd repurchase them.
Shrinking Beauty lotion - This was supposed to firm with lobster or something weird like that.  It came in a sample bag from Ulta.  I didn't notice any firmness or change.  Definitely not a purchase.  And it had a weird sticker on it like they covered up the original label for some reason which I found a bit suspect.
Fig and Yarrow Hand Salve - This came in a limited edition box from Birchbox and it isn't even close to empty but I can not handle the scent...at all.  It must go.  It is the type of product I would consider purchasing for my cuticles and dry patches if it came in a different scent.
Yu-Be moisturizing skin cream - I use them on my cuticles at night.  They are okay for that purpose but I won't repurchase.


Skin care empties:
Michael Todd jojoba charcoal facial scrub - I love this product and have already repurchased.  I use this scrub a few times a week when I wash my face it the shower.  Some people claim it leaves a film or is hard to wash off.  I just follow it up with a very gentle cleanser to get rid of any of that film or scrub left behind.
Origins Ginzing eye cream - This is my holy grail morning eye cream.  I am already using a new tub. This gives a nice brightening effect to my crazy dark circles in the morning before I apply makeup.
Burt's Bees Herbal Blemish stick - I bought this when I was having crazy breakouts last summer.  I don't think it makes them go away any faster than other products I have tried.  The rollerball was a bit weird to use because I didn't want to roll it directly on the problem areas but then it was messy if I tried to put it on a q-tip or something.  I don't think I would repurchase.
SeaRX Anti wrinkle serum - I received this in Ipsy or Birchbox.  I didn't notice any difference in my skin and the top started to crack and break off which made a huge mess.  Not an item I would purchase.


Makeup empties:
Stila glamor eyes mascara - This came with an eye shadow set I bought from Stila.  I'm not sure if it was actually flaking or it was just the formula but it really irritated my eyes.  I will not purchase it.
Dr. Jart+ BB Dis-a-pore - This was okay.  It had that gray cast to it and didn't blend into my skin very well.  I am using a different BB cream by Dr. Jart right now that I like much better.
Pixi Flawless beauty primer - This was an Ipsy sample and is supposed to be an illuminating primer.  I felt like it made my face greasy and when I was using it, my skin had red bumps and broke out more.  Not a purchase for me.
Neutrogena naturals chapstick - This was okay but the original Neutrogena chapstick is my favorite.
Chapstick - Again, this is okay and I have a bunch to use up (from my crazy couponing days) but then I won't purchase again.

Lots of empties again this month, but that is a good thing!  I know that makeup empties will be few and far between and I'm okay with that because I know my powder products last longer and I do use them every day.  It just takes longer to use them up. I am really trying to work through my body care, skin care, and lip products though because I do not want them to go back and lose what I paid for them.

February Totals:
I started with 277 products at the beginning of February.
I added 24 products through Birchbox, free samples, and birthday gifts.
I used up 24 products (9 full size, 9 deluxe size, 4 foil packets, and 2 trashed products).
So I will have 277 products to start March.

I spent $5.66 during the whole month on a hair tie and hair spray.

So far for 2015 I have used up $272.83 in products and have had to trash $104.01 in products (for a variety of reasons).  I have spent $14.44 for the months of January and February.

I feel like my progress is very slow compared to what I was hoping to see.  Every month I feel like I have products that should be so close to being finished but then just keep hanging on!  But I am using things up and continuing to work on keeping any purchases to necessities (I have gotten some birthday gifts during February that were not necessities:)

Follow me on Instagram and Twitter if you don't already @hmills79

Heather

*All products were purchased with my own money.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated in any way for this post.



3 comments:

  1. I hear you on the slow progress! I've been making it a goal to get rid of stuff that I know I hate and won't be using just for the sake of downsizing my collection. In terms of making empties, I feel like I haven't made as much progress as other people but I'm still finishing things which was the point anyways right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. btw this is pdpatel0503 from instagram :)

      Delete
    2. I hear ya! I don't have too many empties but I'm making some progress which is better than none. And sometimes you get a flood of empties all at once and sometimes I feel like there are none. We will keep plugging away and by the end of the year, I'm sure we will amazed at our progress! Thank you for reading!

      Delete