Monday, February 2, 2015

Beauty Blogger Book Club: A Mad, Wicked Folly


Back at the beginning of January a fellow blogger I follow, Ashley, posted about a book club she was part of.  The book club is a group of bloggers who read a book each month and post a review about it.  She said if you were interested to email her.  I love to read (although during the school year I don't get to do it as much as I'd like) so I emailed her and said I would love to join in.

Michelyn at Brains, Beauty and Basketball chose our first book.  During the month of January we read A Mad, Wicked Folly by Sharon Biggs Waller.  This book is set in London in 1909.  Vicky is attending a french boarding school when she is expelled for posing nude for an illicit art class.  Vicky is from a wealthy family who attempts to marry her off to a wealthy man to save their reputation.  However, Vicky has dreams of attending art school and begins participating in the suffragette movement.


Being a fan of Downtown Abbey, Jane Austin, and anything of a similar genre, I was very excited to read this book.  I loved the character of Vicky because she was strong willed and independent.  Her struggle between pleasing her parents and following her dreams was one many can relate to.  She also meets a boy from the working-class who makes her question her decision to marry and if it will truly bring her what she wants.  I was intrigued by Vicky and what path she would choose.  Would she get into art school and pursue her dream?  Which boy would she choose?  This book was exciting to the very end as she struggled to make a decision that would be best for her and I waited to see how it would affect her family.  This is a definite must read!

Head over and check out what the other bloggers thought of the book!


For the month of February, Ashley chose Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter.  This sounds like another great pick!  I have a snow day today and my book is set to arrive today (fingers crossed) so I can dive right in.

If you are a blogger and interested joining our book club, email me for more information!  If you love to read but don't have a blog, you can still join us!  

Each month, one of the members of the Beauty Blogger Book Club (BBBC) will choose a book for the club to read.  At the beginning of the following month we will share a book report/summary for our readers to enjoy and share the book for the following month.

Have you read this book?  What did you think?
Heather

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book but it sounds like it would be really good! I read Beautiful Ruins last year and really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carly, you must read "A, Mad, Wicked Folly!" it is oh so good. I too am glad that you have good review about "Beautiful Ruins" You should consider joining our Club :)

      Michelyn Cynthia
      brainsbeautybymichelyn.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. I'm really enjoying it Carly! Love reading your suggestions on your blog also!

      Delete
  2. Heather, so glad you enjoyed this book. As I stated in my review, I too LOVE Downton Abbey and historical pieces in general.

    xoxo
    Michelyn Cynthia
    brainsbeautybymichelyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete