Monday, December 29, 2014

December Beauty Empties

I am a few days early with my December empties but I am starting a low buy/ no buy on January 1st so I want everything cleared out so I can start fresh.  I mentioned in a previous post about my first project pan and creating a makeup inventory.  A lot of "youtubers" have also been posting goals about their ideal numbers for how many they would have of each product.  I'm not really sure what my ideal numbers would be.  I do know that I have products that aren't bad but that I know I wouldn't purchase again and so I would like them to be used up.  I also know that I have developed some favorites in certain areas such as mascara and I need to use up the items that aren't my favorite.  So, while I don't think I have a crazy makeup collection, it isn't my ideal in that it doesn't consist of all products that I love.

Anyways, on to the empties for this month.  I am hoping to have more makeup empties at the end of January as I use up some of the items in my project pan.


Crown brush - This brush came in an Ipsy bag and I am not a fan.  It isn't horrible, but I don't feel like it picks up much product and it not as good as other brushes I have.  So, it is going in the trash.

Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair - This was another sample from Ipsy and it was okay.  It moisturized my hair but a lot of the products in the Ipsy bags aren't ones I find at Ulta or Sephora so I'll keep trying different masks for now until I find one I love.

StriVectin SD Advanced Anti-Wrinkle concentrate - I received this in a bag of samples with an Ulta order.  I was excited because I have been wanting to try some wrinkle creams for my face where I am developing fine lines or some larger lines (forehead and around my mouth).  I had a horrible reaction to this product after only using for two days.  I developed an itchy rash so this is going in the trash.  Disclaimer - I do tend to have reactions to things often, although not usually face products (usually the cause is unknown or environmental allergens).

Sheaterra Rose Hips Black Soap - This was another beauty box sample and I really liked it.  It claims to be microdermabrasion in a bottle.  It did not have any particles to exfoliate and felt more like a face wash.  However, it did make my face feel soft and exfoliated after I washed it off.  The only downside is that you are supposed to leave it on for 5-10 minutes which I am too lazy for at night.  I ended up leaving it on while I brushed my teeth and things so it was closer to the 5 minute mark but it still worked.  I'm unsure of the price of a full size but I might consider purchasing this product.

Tresemme Thermal Creations - I use this spray before I use my flat iron on my hair but after I blow dry.  I think it makes my hair nice and smooth and I hope also protects some from the heat of the flat iron.  I bought two of these so I am already using my back-up.

CVS Cotton Rounds - These are fine.  I usually buy them on sale wherever I can find them.  My absolute favorites I've tried so far are from Sephora but they are more expensive so I don't buy them often.


LivGrn perfume in earth - I will never buy a bottle of perfume this big again.  I used this almost daily for a long time.  Then I received other perfume and samples and stopped using it.  Now it doesn't smell right.  It is a very light scent and performs more like a body spray for me in terms of how long the scent lasts.

Supergoop hand cream - This was nice because it had sunscreen in it to protect your hands.  I kept it in my purse for when I was out and needed some hand cream.  The only downside is that it then made my hands smell like suncreen until it wore off.  I have other hand creams so I won't purchase this one.

Amika perk up dry shampoo - This was a Birchbox sample and I loved the smell!  It was my first dry shampoo I've ever used (yes I was late to the game on that one) and it did have the white cast to it.  However, I saw someone on Youtube mention that they spray it the night before and so I did that, massaged it in, and it was fine the next morning.

White Citrus lotion - I don't buy Bath and Body Works lotions too often because I usually find ones at the drugstore that I'm okay using.  This was a gift and I really liked this scent.  It was nice and light without being too much like perfume.


Mally Volumizing mascara - This is my holy grail mascara at the moment.  I have a backup ready once I use up a few others I have opened already.

Maybelline Mega plush volume express - This was okay.  I often felt like the bristles on the brush were poking my eye and it didn't do anything fantastic so I won't repurchase this one.

Maybelline color tattoo in Inked in Pink - I really like this shade but this one has dried up.  I can't seem to use these up fast enough before they dry out.  I am trying to finish up another one right now and then I think I will try a different product like a shadow stick.

Mario Badescu hyaluronic eye cream - I received this as a free gift with purchase from Ulta when I bought the drying lotion.  I like this eye cream.  It is very moisturizing.  I won't be purchasing thought because I have other eye creams to go through.  And I think I would like one with anti-aging or anti-wrinkle properties to it.

Mary Kay tinted lip balm in natural - This was living in my makeup bag in my purse for a long time.  I am trying to put one lip product in my purse that I can apply consistently when I am not at home in an effort to use up some of my lip products.  Mary Kay doesn't make this product anymore (to my knowledge) but I have so many lip products that I wouldn't repurchase anyways.  I did like the little bit of color it gave but I would compare it more to the Revlon lip butters they make now than a lip balm.

That is it for this month!  Sorry for such a long post but I want to make sure I give good reviews for you all.  I love empties videos and posts because it really gives me an idea of a product is worth purchasing (I consider it product research).

In terms of my product stash:  I started December 1st (when I wrote my inventory) with 267 products including every shower, skincare, body care and make up item I own.  I added 17 items from Christmas gifts, Walmart Beauty Box, and Birchbox.  That brought my total to 284.  I used up 16 products (including foil packets that I don't put in my posts) so my total is at 268.  Close to breaking even.  I'm hoping with no walmart box and no gifts next month (only Birchbox adding products), I will see my total go down more.

As always, check out my posts on Instagram and Twitter at hmills79.
Thanks for reading!
Heather

*All products were purchased with my own money.  All opinions are my own.  I was not compensated in any way for this post.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I really love the maybelline color tattoo and the mascara also the thermal creations heat protectant (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me I think color tattoos last a lot longer now that I have been trying Amber F's video on how to revive them using eye drops/saline solution. It's made my products last so much longer! Give it a try :) Keep at it, lady!

    -A Beauty Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try that trick. I only have one left and I'm hoping to use it up one day. Thank you for the encouragement!

      Delete