Time again for my beauty subscriptions and mini reviews! I have Ipsy and Birchbox included this month. I decided to cancel my Ipsy after this month so you won't be seeing it in my October post. The products I was receiving weren't products or shades that I use. Ipsy says they customize the bags based upon your reviews, which I do every month. So I have been a little disappointed that when I put in my reviews that bright colors are not for me, I continue to receive them. And I know that everyone is different, so this is just my opinion on the products I was receiving and how I felt about the service. There are a ton of people who love Ipsy, I just wasn't feeling I was getting my money's worth from it. I continue to keep Birchbox because even though I don't always like the products I receive (although my boxes have been great lately), I find their point system makes up for it.
I did sign up for the Walmart Beauty Box so I will try to post about that once I have a chance to use some of the products. There is no profile or anything, you just sign up with name and age. Therefore, the boxes are not necessarily customized but for $5 I figured I would give it a try. I might include that in its own post and then depending on when it comes in the future include it with my Birchbox post.
This was my Ipsy bag for September:
1. Hikari Lipstick in Cabernet - I opened this, swatched it on my hand, and gave it away. It is a dark reddish burgundy color. I am not a dark lipstick person. This was not a shade I would wear which I have told Ipsy when I received products in similar shades in the past. If you like the fall burgundy lip you would probably love this shade although I can't speak to the formula.
2. Pacifica Eyeliner in Fringe - This is a brown pencil liner. It isn't anything special. It did tug a bit on me and wasn't a very soft pencil to use in my opinion. I do like brown eyeliner a lot but this is not one I am finding myself reaching for.
3. NYX Shadow in Innocent - This is a pretty champagne color. I love NYX shadows so I was excited to receive this and in a color I don't already own. It is a great color to pair with lots of different looks or to wear as a highlight.
4. Crown Crease/Shadow Brush - This is okay. I have used it a bit with the shadow end. I'm not impressed enough to go out and buy any of this brand of brushes.
5. Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Hair Mask - I have used this once and I did like it. I will continue to use it and see if it wows me. But right now, I'm not finding it any better than some other masks that I really have liked. And it is hard to dig the product out of a tub when in the shower. I prefer when the hair mask is in a tube (yes, I'm picky like that).
On to Birchbox:
1. Harvey Prince Ageless Liquid Loofah - This was a shower gel and I really liked the smell. I can't remember exactly what it was though. I tend to like the Harvey Prince scents that Birchbox sends. The only thing I didn't like was that I probably got two uses out of this small tube since it was a shower gel which requires more product (at least for me).
2. Macadamia Professional Healing Oil Spray - This is the first product from this brand I have tried and I love it! They smell fantastic and I do enjoy using it as a leave-in before I blow dry or heat style my hair. I have also used it on my hair when I was air-drying my hair and it seemed to help control some of the frizz I get when I air dry.
3. Mereadesso All-in-One Moisturizer - This packet of moisturizer is $28. The full size is $120! For that price, it has to do amazing things to my skin and this doesn't. It is nice as a moisturizer. I've been using it at night because it is a bit heavy for my skin for daytime. It smells really nice and applies nicely too. It claims to be a primer, eye cream, serum, etc. all-in-one (hence the name:) however since I was using it at night I don't know how it works as a primer. While it is a foil packet, this packet has lasted me a few weeks already so its a good size and it is resealable so you don't rip off the top and get a mess. It would be great for travel because I think you can buy these packets for the $28 price online.
4. Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm in Honey Nectar - I was super excited to receive this lip balm because I have been wanting to try it. It is a sheer neutral color which I love in a balm because I can swipe it on without a mirror when I am out running around. This feels very nice on the lips and moisturizing.
5. Temptu S/B Highlighter in Champagne Shimmer - I will admit I was a little frightened to try this because I was afraid it would make me look like a disco ball. However, it really doesn't at all. I put a little bit on my cheek bones and then applied my powder blush over it. Perhaps its because I have fair skin, but it showed up as more of a pinky cream blush than a shimmer. I was surprised by how much I liked this product. And I think this small bottle will last me quite awhile since I only use a few drops.
6. Chapstick Day and Night - This was an "extra" that Birchbox throws in now and then on top of your usual samples. The nice part is that you can still do a review and earn points on it. So, I basically had 6 products to review this month which will equal $6 I can use in the Birchbox shop. I like this Chapstick. I put it in my purse and have been using it frequently. I haven't used the night part at night because I am loyal to my Neutrogena chapstick before bed. However, I've tried both ends during the day (the day end has SPF) and I like that it doesn't feel waxy and goes on very nicely. And it stays put for awhile instead of wearing off and feeling like you need to reapply often.
I was very happy with my Birchbox again this month. And I have already talked about Ipsy so you won't see that in a future post. I have thought about joining a different subscription service but I am holding off for right now until I decide if I want a beauty box or something totally different (like snacks...yum:) What did you receive this month in your subscription services? Have a new one you think I should try? Let me know in the comments below!
As always, I post a lot on Instagram and Twitter so follow me there!
Instagram - hmills79
Twitter - hmills79
*All opinions are my own. Products were purchased with my own money. I was not compensated in any way for this post.