Sunday, September 28, 2014

My Beauty Subscriptions - September

Time again for my beauty subscriptions and mini reviews!  I have Ipsy and Birchbox included this month.  I decided to cancel my Ipsy after this month so you won't be seeing it in my October post.  The products I was receiving weren't products or shades that I use.  Ipsy says they customize the bags based upon your reviews, which I do every month.  So I have been a little disappointed that when I put in my reviews that bright colors are not for me, I continue to receive them.  And I know that everyone is different, so this is just my opinion on the products I was receiving and how I felt about the service.  There are a ton of people who love Ipsy, I just wasn't feeling I was getting my money's worth from it.  I continue to keep Birchbox because even though I don't always like the products I receive (although my boxes have been great lately), I find their point system makes up for it.

I did sign up for the Walmart Beauty Box so I will try to post about that once I have a chance to use some of the products.  There is no profile or anything, you just sign up with name and age.  Therefore, the boxes are not necessarily customized but for $5 I figured I would give it a try.  I might include that in its own post and then depending on when it comes in the future include it with my Birchbox post.


This was my Ipsy bag for September:
1.  Hikari Lipstick in Cabernet - I opened this, swatched it on my hand, and gave it away.  It is a dark reddish burgundy color.  I am not a dark lipstick person.  This was not a shade I would wear which I have told Ipsy when I received products in similar shades in the past.  If you like the fall burgundy lip you would probably love this shade although I can't speak to the formula.
2.  Pacifica Eyeliner in Fringe - This is a brown pencil liner.  It isn't anything special.  It did tug a bit on me and wasn't a very soft pencil to use in my opinion.  I do like brown eyeliner a lot but this is not one I am finding myself reaching for.
3.  NYX Shadow in Innocent - This is a pretty champagne color.  I love NYX shadows so I was excited to receive this and in a color I don't already own.  It is a great color to pair with lots of different looks or to wear as a highlight.
4.  Crown Crease/Shadow Brush - This is okay.  I have used it a bit with the shadow end.  I'm not impressed enough to go out and buy any of this brand of brushes.
5.  Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Hair Mask - I have used this once and I did like it.  I will continue to use it and see if it wows me.  But right now, I'm not finding it any better than some other masks that I really have liked.  And it is hard to dig the product out of a tub when in the shower.  I prefer when the hair mask is in a tube (yes, I'm picky like that).


On to Birchbox:
1.  Harvey Prince Ageless Liquid Loofah - This was a shower gel and I really liked the smell.  I can't remember exactly what it was though.  I tend to like the Harvey Prince scents that Birchbox sends.  The only thing I didn't like was that I probably got two uses out of this small tube since it was a shower gel which requires more product (at least for me).
2.  Macadamia Professional Healing Oil Spray - This is the first product from this brand I have tried and I love it!  They smell fantastic and I do enjoy using it as a leave-in before I blow dry or heat style my hair.  I have also used it on my hair when I was air-drying my hair and it seemed to help control some of the frizz I get when I air dry.
3.  Mereadesso All-in-One Moisturizer - This packet of moisturizer is $28.  The full size is $120!  For that price, it has to do amazing things to my skin and this doesn't.  It is nice as a moisturizer.  I've been using it at night because it is a bit heavy for my skin for daytime.  It smells really nice and applies nicely too.  It claims to be a primer, eye cream, serum, etc. all-in-one (hence the name:) however since I was using it at night I don't know how it works as a primer.  While it is a foil packet, this packet has lasted me a few weeks already so its a good size and it is resealable so you don't rip off the top and get a mess.  It would be great for travel because I think you can buy these packets for the $28 price online.
4.  Pixi Shea Butter Lip Balm in Honey Nectar - I was super excited to receive this lip balm because I have been wanting to try it.  It is a sheer neutral color which I love in a balm because I can swipe it on without a mirror when I am out running around.  This feels very nice on the lips and moisturizing.
5.  Temptu S/B Highlighter in Champagne Shimmer - I will admit I was a little frightened to try this because I was afraid it would make me look like a disco ball.  However, it really doesn't at all.  I put a little bit on my cheek bones and then applied my powder blush over it.  Perhaps its because I have fair skin, but it showed up as more of a pinky cream blush than a shimmer.  I was surprised by how much I liked this product.  And I think this small bottle will last me quite awhile since I only use a few drops.
6.  Chapstick Day and Night - This was an "extra" that Birchbox throws in now and then on top of your usual samples.  The nice part is that you can still do a review and earn points on it.  So, I basically had 6 products to review this month which will equal $6 I can use in the Birchbox shop.  I like this Chapstick.  I put it in my purse and have been using it frequently.  I haven't used the night part at night because I am loyal to my Neutrogena chapstick before bed.  However, I've tried both ends during the day (the day end has SPF) and I like that it doesn't feel waxy and goes on very nicely.  And it stays put for awhile instead of wearing off and feeling like you need to reapply often.

I was very happy with my Birchbox again this month.  And I have already talked about Ipsy so you won't see that in a future post.  I have thought about joining a different subscription service but I am holding off for right now until I decide if I want a beauty box or something totally different (like snacks...yum:)  What did you receive this month in your subscription services?  Have a new one you think I should try?  Let me know in the comments below!

As always, I post a lot on Instagram and Twitter so follow me there!
Instagram - hmills79
Twitter - hmills79

Heather!

*All opinions are my own.  Products were purchased with my own money.  I was not compensated in any way for this post.

2 comments:

  1. I've only been subscribed to Ipsy since June, but I really haven't been all that impressed with it either. I also got a really dark red lip gloss, which is totally opposite from what I normally reach for. Your birch box looks so nice though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birchbox used to be just okay but has gotten a lot better this year. I had that problem with Ipsy too. Even with my reviews, the shades weren't anything I wear. I hope they improve for you!

      Delete