Monday, June 30, 2014

June Beauty Empties

It has come to the end of June which means it is time for my favorite post...Empties!  I love reading these and watching the videos on Youtube because I love seeing people's opinions of the products after finishing them instead of just a first impression.  I have been trying to really use up a lot of the products I have around, especially skincare and haircare and not buy too many new products for awhile.  I also have a lot of samples and foil packets I've been using up as well.  I'm not including all of those in this post but I did post mini reviews of them on my instagram.  You can check that out @hmills79.
Remember, the review of these products are my own opinions and what works for my skin, face, etc.  You may find your opinions different than mine and thats great!  This is just my experience.


First set of empties...I tried to group them by category in the pictures.
1.  Whish Shave Cream in acai grapefruit - This was a Birchbox sample.  I really liked the scent and it worked well for shaving as well.  I might purchase if I had points through Birchbox but I like what I use now and probably wouldn't switch for that reason.
2.  Suave Naturals Body Wash in everlasting sunshine - I liked this but I'm not too picky about my body wash.  I usually buy whatever is on sale and will try lots of different scents.  The only time I wouldn't repurchase was if it was a scent I didn't end up liking.  But I did like this one.
3.  N.4 Fleurs de Temps Volumizing Shampoo - This was another Birchbox sample.  I really liked this shampoo and it smelled wonderful.  Not enough uses in the sample to really tell it it was great for my hair but it is a pricey shampoo (over $30) which is more than I can budget for shampoo and conditioner which is why I won't purchase this shampoo.
4.  The Honest Co. honest healing balm - This was another sample from subscription services.  This was very greasy as a hand cream in my opinion.  I used it on my cuticles every night and I really liked it for that purpose.  I have similar products I am using now so I will not be repurchasing but I did like this in the winter for my extremely dry cuticles.


5.  Almay Oil-free gentle eye makeup remover - This was not gentle for me.  I bought it because it was free with coupons and sales at CVS and I thought I would give it a try.  It is empty because I dumped it out.  My eyes were constantly watering for a few months and I couldn't figure out why.  I worked to figure out which new products I was using might be causing it and this was the culprit.  So, I have returned to my favorite Neutrogena remover.
6.  No 7 Beautiful Skin Night Cream Normal/Dry - I bought this night cream in the winter because my skin was so dry it was flaking and I decided I need a thicker moisturizer for nighttime.  As a moisturizer, I loved this product.  It did a great job of fixing the flaky skin I was experiencing.  However, I wasn't a fan of the scent.  It was too much of a perfumey scent for what I like to put on my skin.  I probably won't repurchase for that reason.
7.  Supergoop City Sunscreen Serum - This was another sample from one of my subscription boxes.  I took it on a recent trip and it was a great travel size.  I also liked that it was for my face and seemed to be less greasy than a regular sunscreen that I would normally use on my face.  I have gotten a lot of other sunscreen samples recently so I wouldn't purchase this anytime soon but I did like it.
8.  Epice Purifying Exfoliant - This was a sample from Ipsy.  It is a face scrub that I used in the shower a few times a week.  It wasn't too scratchy (my technical term:) which I like and I felt it worked well.  However, my favorite is Vasanti which I have a full size of from Birchbox.
9.  Bond No. 9 I Love New York Holidays - A perfume sample from somewhere :)  I get so many of these, I never remember where they come from anymore.  I really liked this scent.  I can't describe scents at all but I would say it was more of a musky, spicy scent.  Not floral or sweet at all.  If I didn't have so many perfumes already, I might consider purchasing this one.
10.  Dr. Hauschka Lemon Lemongrass Vitalising Body Wash - This was a Birchbox sample this month.  I loved the scent because it was very fresh and light.  I also like the smell of lemongrass so I really enjoyed this one.  Unfortunately, I only got about two uses out of this sample.  And it is pricey for what I'm willing to spend on a body wash.


11.  Buxom Show some skin weightless foundation - I really liked this foundation.  It went on really well and blended in and felt very light on the skin.  I don't feel that it gives tons of coverage which I'm okay with, but I was able to build it some.  I have some drugstore foundations I really like so I don't feel the need to spend the money on this higher end product.
12.  Smashbox Photo Finish more than primer - This was another sample from somewhere:)  I liked this as a primer, used it mainly in my t-zone due to the blemish control part of the primer.  I have a bunch of primers to use but I would definitely purchase the full size of this product.
13.  Sugar Fresh - I really like these products but I always get disappointed by how mushy they get.  I can't get them in my purse because any type of heat melts them.  They are super moisturizing which I love.  I find if I purchase the smaller size from Sephora, I can get through them before they melt too much.  I will continue to purchase this product.  I have a few of the others such as Honey and Petal to use up first (I bought a set awhile back).


These two items are just trash.  I got them both in Ipsy bags during different months.  The Pacifica shadow duo were not very pigmented and the lighter shade had a lot of glitter which caused a lot of fallout.  I blended really well but later in the day my 7year old asked why I had glitter all over my face which means it continued to get all over my face even after I set everything.  I'm too old for a lot of glitter:)
The Be a Bombshell mascara smells horrible!  I can only describe it as a chemical plastic smell.  In addition, I found the mascara to be very goopy and I was not a fan.  However, I am throwing it away because of the smell.

Phew, sorry for all the pictures and the long post but I wanted to split up the products so you could see them well in the pictures.  Let me know your opinions on any of these or what you've used up this month!

Heather!

*All opinions are my own.  Products were purchased with my own money unless stated otherwise.  I was not compensated in any way for this post.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of an "empties" post! And I have to say, that body wash was what caught my eye - it sounds like a lovely scent!

    Hope you have a great week!
    Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Danielle! It was a great scent. I'm all about the "fresh" scents.

      Delete