Sunday, September 8, 2013

Organizing our Front Hall

The front door of our house opens directly into our living room.  There is a small patch of tile from the door to the front hall closet but the rest is the living room.  That means that backpacks, shoes, coats, and various other items get dumped there by us all.

I wanted a way to corral all of it, especially the items my daughter throws on the floor such as her hat, mittens, and scarf in the winter.  Not her fault, just nowhere for her to keep them.

I saw an idea on Pinterest that I really liked and thought would work for what I was wanting.  You can find the post here.  Luckily, hubby is very handy and was able to create what I had in mind.

To start I went to Michael's and bought 3 wooden crates.  They sell them unfinished and I made a few trips so I could use my 40% off coupon on each one:)  They ended up being about $9 apiece.  Hubby is so wonderful that he started when I wasn't even home so I didn't have time to snap a picture of the crates before starting.

Then hubby stacked them and secured them together.


He also added trim to the bottom so it sat off the ground a bit and looked more like a shelf.


Then we primed and painted the whole thing green.  I am slowly working on changing my living room and kitchen colors to yellow, green and red.  I also have a green bench in the entryway which I will show you in my next post.


These shelves now sit right next to our front door.  I put our mail tray right on top so that whoever grabs the mail that day can put it on the tray until we sort through it (which I make sure to do before bed every night).


Finally, I added some baskets.  Hubby is already using one for his wallet and other items he grabs on the way out the door.  I plan to have one for myself and one for my daughter for those mittens, hats and other items she will need on her way out the door in the morning.


I'm really excited about using these shelves to control some of our clutter that ends up on the floor or kitchen table because we had nowhere to keep it.  I'm not entirely sure I like the size of these baskets so that may be changed up at a later date if I find others that I like better.

Enjoy!
Heather

Linking up with:
 Sew Much Crafting
 The Patriotic Pam
 
Shaken Together
 

No comments:

Post a Comment