Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Southwestern Chicken Salad

I'm always looking for new lunch ideas.  I take my lunch to school every day and get tired of soup or a sandwich.  I saw this idea on Pinterest (click Here to see the original recipe).  While it looked delicious, I was going for simple and I'm not a huge fan of dressing.  I also wanted something I could pack up at the beginning of the week and just grab each morning. 


Here is what I did to make my version of the Southwestern Chicken Salad (that's the best description of it). 

1.  Poach/boil chicken breasts.  I used one large chicken breast which yielded a little over 2 cups of shredded chicken.  Once the chicken cooled, I shredded it with my fingers.

2.  I drained a can of corn and threw that in.

3.  Drained and rinsed a can of black beans and threw those in too:)

4.  Finished it off with some pico de gallo. We have a grocery store here that makes it from scratch and it is so yummy so I used theirs versus making my own or buying a jar of it.

I immediately divided it into five separate tupperware containers so I could grab one each morning and be ready to go.  I bought some tortilla chips that I have been dipping in to eat it. 

The pico de gallo I buy gave it plenty of flavor that I didn't need other spices.  It has also stayed well in the containers all week which I wasn't sure about when I made it Sunday evening.

Here is the recipe:
1 large chicken boneless/skinless chicken breast (about 2 cups when shredded)
1 14.5 oz can sweet corn
1 14.5 oz can black beans
container of pico de gallo
chips for dipping

This made about 5 servings of 1 1/2 to 2 cups each

Enjoy!
Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment