Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Pinterest Project - A Prettier Box

So, I swear I found this idea for a cute burlap covered box on Pinterest but I went back through to find the link and there is no picture of it on my boards!  Seriously!  Of all the pins I have, it somehow isn't there.  I want to give credit where it is due so please let me know if you have the original post or pin.

I'll go ahead and explain my steps to you.  I bought burlap remnants at Joann Fabrics with a bunch of other fabric.  I used some of the fabric on my jewelry organizer.  I knew I wanted the burlap to cover a box, so then I just had to wait for a box:)  Thank you to my need for Garlic Garlic and Beer Bread from Tastefully Simple because that box arrived a few weeks later.


I started by cutting off the flaps of the box.


Then I laid out the fabric to measure what I would need.


I made the cuts for the sides so that the ends would be prettier.


I used hot glue along all the edges and along the inside edge on the top to adhere the burlap.


Then I glued ribbon around the box, overlapping the edges in the back.


I turned the box around so the overlap was in the back and then added a flower I had at home.


So cute!  For my first attempt at this, it turned out pretty well.  Being the perfectionist that I am, burlap was not the best material to use.  It was hard to get to lay nicely and I'm already concerned about the fraying edges.  I think if I were to do this again, I would use a regular fabric.  I'm also not thrilled with the unfinished look of the inside.  For now however, it is sitting on a shelf with my daughter's extra school supplies in a closet so it is definitely being utilized and looks cute while its there:)

If anyone knows the original post or pin, please let me know so I can give credit where it is due.
Enjoy!
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment