Monday, July 16, 2012

How to Organize User Manuals


I have been planning to reorganize all our household manuals for awhile, especially because hubby complains every time he goes looking for one and can't find it.  Once upon a time, they were all organized in binders.  Each manual was in its own sheet protector.  However, the binders became huge and the manuals were always sliding out and some didn't fit well in the sheet protectors.  So, I ended up with this on a shelf in my laundry room...



One of my desk drawers was holding a mess of folders and paper.  I moved these supplies into the cabinet that holds the rest of my office supplies.  This emptied out the drawer for me to use for the manuals.  I also think a file box would work if you did not have an available file drawer.


My next step was to sort the manuals into categories.  Some categories I used were small appliances, laundry, toys, computer, etc.  One of my dogs was watching the process very closely:)


I had enough hanging folders and labels for all my categories.  I used my label maker for each category and attached it to the little piece of paper for the hanging file folder.


Then I put any manuals for that category into the folder.  I continued this process until everything was in a folder.


Finally, I put all the folders into the drawer.  I still have room in the drawer in case I need to add any other manuals in the future.


Here is a close up of the labeled folders in the drawer.


I am hoping this will be a system that works better for us.  If you think the binder system will work for you, I have found one for you to look at.  Pinterest has a lot of ideas as well. (of course:)


Source
Enjoy!
Heather

                  


                    I Heart Nap Time

4 comments:

  1. That is a really really good idea! It's a pain to have to search through a stack of manuals to find the one you need! Organization is key.

    Found you via Tatertots and Jello. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I'm hoping this system is more efficient for us.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking up your coloring box post at The Prudent Pantry!

    I really need to get my manuals organized (actually I need to locate them all first). It's surprising how often I am looking for one of the manuals. I would love it if you would share this at the Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/prudent-projects-and-smart-solutions.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and thanks for the invite!

      Delete