Monday, April 2, 2012

Menu Planning


 Menu Planner
Link to a Google Doc of my menu plan

I create a weekly menu and grocery shopping list for our family.  I have found that this cuts down on the amount of wasted food each week.  While I do buy weekly what we need for some meals, I also buy meat that is on sale and freeze it for future dinners.  We usually eat out one weekend night so I cross off that evening in my plan and then fill in recipes for the other nights from the meat we have in the freezer or what is on sale for the week.  This is usually the priciest part of the meal so I find its best to plan around it.  


My husband and I are both teachers and take our lunches each day.  Therefore, I have a separate box where I plan what we need for lunches that week.  Sometimes I just write in leftovers, but usually I want to include lunch meats, salad fixings, or other parts of our lunches so nothing is forgotten.


After I have decided our meals for the week, I create our shopping list for anything we may need that isn't already in the pantry.  I usually shop two different stores based upon the sales.  One is best for our meat and produce while the other is cheaper for dry goods and other staples.  If I know the price, I make a note of it so I have a general idea of what I'm spending.  I also mark the items I have a coupon for as a reminder.  I have left the store names blank on the menu for you to fill in what works best for you.


I find that by planning each week, I am not making last minute, and often expensive, trips to the grocery store before dinner.  In addition, we rarely run out of our daily needs like milk, bread, juice, etc.
I hope you find this document helpful!  If you do download it, I would love to hear from you!


Enjoy!
Heather

 

Freedom Fridays

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather! Just wanted to drop by and say THANK YOU for your really sweet comment on my Magnetic Meal Board! Glad you see something that might work for you! Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete